Green Card Experts
Search Login Menu

I am separated from my spouse/ in a divorce. What do I do?

If you are separated or currently in the process of getting a divorce, you must include your spouse in your application. If you are still legally married at the time the application is submitted in October/November, your spouse must be included in the application. Of course, you will need to provide proof of your divorce at a later date. Even if you are still married when you win a Green Card, it is not required that your spouse accepts the Green Card. You must inform the US-authorities that you intend to travel to the USA alone.

If you fail to include a legal marriage in your application form, the US authorities will see this as giving false information and your application will be disqualified from the Green Card Program. Do not risk getting disqualified and be honest with all information you give on your application. Please contact us if you have any questions. We will be glad to assist you.