Green Card Experts




What happens if I marry or have a child after I recieve notice that I have won a Green Card?

After being notified of your win, you have at least half a year's time before the interview in a US consulate takes place. In this time, you can marry or have a child and the new family member will automatically be considered eligible for a Green Card. You could even celebrate winning the Green Card by marrying your partner so that every family member gets a Green Card. In all cases, please contact us so that we may provide individual advice for your specific case.

If you, however, get married after your interview appointment in the US consulate, therefore after receiving your Green Card, the process to get a Green Card for your spouse is longer. You should be prepared to wait three to five years before your spouse receives a US lawful resident permit. Fundamentally, there is a right for the whole family to get a Green Card.